Monday, January 12, 2009

Gold Wings

Yours truly reached a career-long goal this past weekend. I earned my Marine Parachutist insignia, more often known as "Gold Wings".





When I was a young 2ndLt. at 1/1, the Regimental Supply Officer sported these shiny gold jump wings on his uniform. If I remember correctly, he was one of maybe five Marines in the entire Regiment who had any type of wings, much less gold ones. This Marine, Capt McNamara, helped me survive my first deployment cycle. He also taught me the importance of supply operations and how it could directly affect the infantry's mission accomplishment. As a professional mentor, I could not have asked for better.

After my first tour, I transitioned to the Inspector-Instructor Staff 3Bn/23rd Marines. There, my I-I, LtCol Ferraro was dual-cool. [For the uninitiated, this means he had both his gold wings and a dive bubble]. LtCol Ferraro is one of the most impressive officers I have ever worked with. For years I've remarked that if he called and asked me to serve on his planning staff to invade the Gates of Hell, I'd be there within 48 hours. He's that type of leader.

I owe a considerable amount of gratitude to these two Marines. They never said I should jump, encouraged me to jump, or even casually remarked I should jump. But, they are both officers whom I wanted to emulate. Accordingly, getting gold wings was always on my radar.

So now I've got 'em! I have to thank all my friends and family for their kind congratulatory words. Also, I'm thankful to all the jumpers and jumpmasters of 4th ANGLICO for helping me learn parachute operations and bettering my abilities. This is a great way to start 2009!

No comments: